fbpx

Hundreds of Met officers accused of violence against women have cases reviewed

The action is being taken in the wake of the case of David Carrick, who has been unmasked as one of Britain’s worst sex offenders.

17 January 2023

More than 1,000 Metropolitan Police officers and staff previously accused of domestic violence and sexual offences are having the allegations reviewed in the wake of the David Carrick case.

The 48-year-old, once a highly trusted armed officer in the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, has been revealed as one of Britain’s most prolific sex offenders.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley said weak policies and decisions meant Carrick was able to stay in the force for 20 years, despite repeated complaints being made against him.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley has apologised to Carrick's victims and pledge to root corrupt officers out of the force.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley has apologised to Carrick’s victims and pledged to root out corrupt officers (PA)

Sir Mark told BBC Breakfast: “We’ve let London down – he’s been a police officer for 20 years.

“Through a combination of weak policies and weak decisions, over those 20 years we missed opportunities when he joined and subsequently, as behaviour came to the fore that we should have removed him from policing.

“Whether it would have affected him being a sex offender I don’t know, but he shouldn’t have been doing it as a police officer.”

In the cases under review, which affect 800 officers, allegations were made but no further action taken.

Sir Mark said some will have involved a neighbour hearing raised voices, while others will have involved “very concerning” behaviour.

Police and prosecutors speak on the court steps after the case, which was branded as one of the worst ever involving a serving police officer by the CPS.
Detective Chief Inspector Iain Moor from the Bedfordshire, Cambridge and Hertfordshire major crime unit, second right, and Jaswant Narwal, Chief Crown Prosecutor at CPS Thames and Chiltern, right, speaking to the media outside Southwark Crown Court (PA)

On Monday, Carrick appeared at Southwark Crown Court to plead guilty to a number of offences. He has now admitted 49 charges, including 24 counts of rape against 12 women over an 18-year period.

Details of his abuse were revealed. He kept some victims locked in a tiny cupboard for hours, beating and urinating on them.

One ex-girlfriend told The Sun Carrick boasted he was untouchable because of his job and would use his police-issue handcuffs and weapons at home during sex.

His mother Jean told The Guardian he changed as a teenager when a serious allegation was made against him. The newspaper did not say what the accusation was.

Carrick joined the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment aged 19 and went on tours to Cyprus and the Falklands.

About 15 years ago, he cut off contact with his mother because, she believes, he did not like his younger half-brother and sister.

She told the newspaper she was devastated by the allegations against him, adding: “He’s still my boy, still my son. I just don’t know why he’s done it.

“You know, when he was doing well, and now he’s lost everything.”

An accelerated disciplinary hearing is due to be held by the Met Police on Tuesday in the wake of Carrick’s guilty pleas.

More from Perspective

Get a free copy of our print edition

News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed

Your email address will not be published. The views expressed in the comments below are not those of Perspective. We encourage healthy debate, but racist, misogynistic, homophobic and other types of hateful comments will not be published.