Shadow housing secretary Sir James Cleverly has said he felt Prof Arday was used as ‘bragging rights by some universities’.

The University of Cambridge’s chancellor has condemned the “racist feeding frenzy” around Professor Jason Arday.

Prof Arday resigned from his post as professor of sociology of education at Cambridge last week after accusations of plagiarism were made against him.

The 41-year-old was found dead in Battersea, south London, on Friday.

Prof Arday, who became Cambridge’s youngest black professor in 2023, had faced intense scrutiny over the plagiarism allegations and questions about his achievements.

In a statement first reported by the BBC, the university’s chancellor Lord Chris Smith of Finsbury said: “I do believe it is possible to hold to two principles at the same time: to believe in the importance of academic integrity, and where criticisms of plagiarism arise, about any academic, whoever they are, ensure that they are rigorously investigated.

“And also to refuse to join in a racist feeding frenzy over a particular academic.”

Chancellor of the University of Cambridge
Chancellor of the University of Cambridge, Lord Chris Smith (University of Cambridge)

Meanwhile, shadow housing secretary Sir James Cleverly told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme he felt Prof Arday was used as “bragging rights by some universities”.

Sir James, who was Britain’s first black home secretary and foreign secretary, said: “It could and should have never come this far.

“If people within the university establishment, not just Cambridge, had done the robust due diligence and checking that should happen with any senior academic appointment.

“I can’t help but feel that the rush to use Jason Arday as a bragging right by some universities – the glee with which they said ‘we’ve got the youngest-ever black professor’, talking about his age and his ethnicity rather than his talent, I think was part of the reason he was lifted so high so quickly.

“And then when the scrutiny did come – external to the universities – his reputation had so far to fall.

“I think it was unfair on him and I think it’s been a terrible, terrible situation.”

Downing Street has declined to say “at this stage” whether Andy Burnham was considering an inquiry over the death of Prof Arday, arguing it was “right for us to let processes conclude” such as an inquest.

Asked whether “Leveson 2” was something the Prime Minister was looking at, a No 10 spokeswoman said: “So, you obviously have the PM’s words on this from the weekend, where he set out that this is a tragedy on so many levels, and that our thoughts are with everyone who knew Jason.

“And as he said, this is a moment for reflection… and as Minister Pennycook has also been clear, this is a time to think compassionately about the situation without getting into a debate, and instead to think of Jason’s family and loved ones at this extremely distressing time.”

Asked whether the Prime Minister was open to the idea, she said: “I would just reiterate the PM’s point that this is a moment for reflection, and we should not lose sight of the people at the heart of this, who are Jason’s family and loved ones.

“But what I would say is that obviously in due course the usual processes will take place, so that could involve, for example, an inquest. So it would be right for us to let those processes conclude.”

Pressed on whether decisions about a potential inquiry would not be made until after the inquest has finished, the official said: “I think I would just reiterate that the Prime Minister’s stance on this is that it’s a moment for reflection and for focus on Jason’s family, and it’s not for me or the Government to make judgments on the specific details at this stage.”

Cambridge University initially said claims of plagiarism regarding Prof Arday’s thesis and some journal publications had been investigated by Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) and the journals in question.

LJMU, which awarded Prof Arday his PhD in 2015, concluded that he had not plagiarised work.

But last week, Cambridge announced an independent investigation into his appointment.

Prof Arday resigned, but said this decision should not “be mistaken for an acceptance of the narratives that have surrounded me”.

More than 30,000 people, including Diane Abbott and Jameela Jamil, have signed a Good Law Project petition seeking an inquiry into coverage of Prof Arday, which says his death followed “two weeks of relentless harassment”.

A vigil for the academic, organised by the group Stand Up To Racism, will be held on the steps of the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square, central London, at 6pm on Monday.

On Sunday, more than 200 people attended a vigil at Cambridge that was organised by Prof Arday’s postdoctoral students.

More from Perspective

Get a free copy of our print edition

News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed

Your email address will not be published. The views expressed in the comments below are not those of Perspective. We encourage healthy debate, but racist, misogynistic, homophobic and other types of hateful comments will not be published.