The duke and six others unsuccessfully brought High Court claims against publisher Associated Newspapers over alleged unlawful information gathering.

The Duke of Sussex and six other household names will have to pay more than £9.5 million to the Daily Mail’s publisher in the first round of legal costs after their failed High Court case.

The high-profile figures, also including Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering.

ANL strongly denied the claims, which were heard at an 11-week trial in London earlier this year, with judge Mr Justice Nicklin dismissing all the cases in a judgment on July 7.

The cases returned to the High Court for a two-day hearing over costs, where the court was told ANL’s total costs were more than £34 million.

In a judgment on Friday, Mr Justice Nicklin ruled the group of seven must pay £9,544,355 by August 28 as an initial contribution to the publisher’s costs ahead of further hearings to determine the total sum.

He said: “The claimants and their advisers have been on notice, since the hearing, that this would be the date for payment on account.”

Baroness Doreen Lawrence
Baroness Doreen Lawrence was among the seven people who brought the action (Jordan Pettitt/PA)

Mr Justice Nicklin also ruled that ANL’s costs should be determined on an indemnity basis, which is more favourable to the publisher in terms of the amount it can recover, aside from where orders had already been made.

The judgment comes after it was made public on Wednesday that Harry and his wife the Duchess of Sussex are moving back to the UK.

The couple decamped to California more than six years ago amid the Megxit crisis, but will relocate back to the UK later this month to live in a non-royal residence outside London.

ANL, which also publishes the Mail On Sunday, had asked for more than £9.9 million as an interim payment, while lawyers for the claimants, which also includes David Furnish, Sadie Frost, Liz Hurley and Sir Simon Hughes, said the interim payment should be just over £7.9 million.

During a hearing in July, ANL said the group should pay the total costs on the indemnity rather than a standard basis.

However, Nicholas Bacon KC, for the group, said in written submissions that it could be “very significant” if the group of seven had to pay ANL’s costs on this stricter basis and could lead to them being without enough insurance cover.

More from Perspective

Get a free copy of our print edition

News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed

Your email address will not be published. The views expressed in the comments below are not those of Perspective. We encourage healthy debate, but racist, misogynistic, homophobic and other types of hateful comments will not be published.