The force said it was disappointed after Mayor of London Sir Sadiq Khan blocked the £50 million deal with the technology firm.

The Metropolitan Police has warned it will have to reduce officer numbers if a £50 million deal between the force and US technology company Palantir does not go ahead.

The force said it was disappointed after Mayor of London Sir Sadiq Khan blocked the deal with the technology firm.

Scotland Yard had been in talks about using Palantir’s artificial intelligence technology to automate intelligence analysis in criminal investigations, The Guardian reported in April.

The company, founded by tech magnate Peter Thiel, a prominent donor to US President Donald Trump, holds contracts with other UK public sector bodies.

The Metropolitan Police said the decision to stop the deal going ahead prevents it from using technology already available to the NHS, the Ministry of Defence and other police forces.

It also argued that bringing in such technology is “crucial” at a time when a financial shortfall means it faces reducing the workforce.

The force said “without new technology, delivered at pace”, it would be “forced to make further tough choices that cannot avoid reducing officer numbers”.

On Thursday, the mayor’s office for policing and crime (Mopac), said Palantir was the only supplier the Met had seriously considered for the proposed contract.

The mayor’s office said the force failed to present its procurement strategy to Mopac for approval, in what it called a “clear and serious breach” of procedure despite the requirement being “specifically emphasised” to the Met.

This meant City Hall was unable ensure value for money.

Deputy mayor for policing and crime Kaya Comer-Schwartz told Met Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley: “To date, I have not been provided with any acceptable explanation for this failure.”

The process the force followed has not “provided a reasonable process of competition or market testing in respect of the services being procured”, she added.

It is understood that Sir Sadiq expects to speak to the Government about whether a company’s ethics should be considered in procurement processes.

He expects Londoners would want public funding issued to companies that share the city’s values, the Press Association understands.

Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley with Kaya Comer-Schwartz
Met Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley with Kaya Comer-Schwartz (left) (Yui Mok/PA)

The mayor’s office was originally told the contract would cost between £15 million and £25 million per annum and the term would be two years, Ms Comer-Schwartz said.

After negotiating with Palantir, the Met increased the contract to the upper end of the range at £25 million.

Mopac was not satisfied that that cost could be paid for both years without risking “unacceptable” tolls on other budgets.

Extending the contract, a not uncommon request for the Met, would increase the risks and concerns, the deputy mayor for policing and crime added.

She told Sir Mark: “I appreciate that my decision will be disappointing.

“To be clear, I continue to support MPS (Metropolitan Police Service) taking effective and timely action to source and procure technology and related services that can support and improve the effective delivery by the MPS of its operational functions.

“However, I believe that this can, and must, be done in a manner that incorporates reasonable, effective, arrangements to ensure the achievement of value for money.”

However, the Metropolitan Police argued that it needed new technology to stay effective as it deals with staffing cutbacks.

A Met Police spokesperson said: “The decision by Mopac is disappointing.

Bruising technology unveiled
Mayor of London Sir Sadiq Khan (left) and Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley (Stefan Rousseau/PA)

“We need to modernise and use the very best technology available.

“We must be able to innovate at a faster rate than hostile states and organised criminals.

“For now, this decision prevents us using technology already available to the MoD, the NHS and other police forces.”

The procurement process was conducted using the same framework as several other government departments and forces that already use Palantir and was applied “diligently at every stage”, they said.

They added: “The technology we want to introduce is crucial to maintaining our service to London while shrinking for the third consecutive year.

“Failing to introduce new technology to address back-office processes and build our effectiveness is the opposite of value for money.

“The technology has shown it can save much more than it costs and that it can improve performance.”

The force suggested further cuts to its workforce could be on the horizon without the Palantir deal.

“We have already made tough and contentious choices on front counters, Royal Parks, schools officers and our mounted branch.

“Without new technology, delivered at pace, we will be forced to make further tough choices that cannot avoid reducing officer numbers, impacting our service to London and our ability to keep the capital safe.

“We are in active discussion with Mopac and will continue to pursue every avenue to resolve this issue swiftly.”

More from Perspective

Get a free copy of our print edition

News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed

Your email address will not be published. The views expressed in the comments below are not those of Perspective. We encourage healthy debate, but racist, misogynistic, homophobic and other types of hateful comments will not be published.