The Prince of Wales had been stopped by Mark O’Mahoney during a walkabout in Nansledan, near Newquay, Cornwall.
The Prince of Wales recorded a birthday message to a woman while visiting a new Duchy of Cornwall housing development.
William, who uses the title Duke of Cornwall while in the Duchy, had been stopped by Mark O’Mahoney during a walkabout in Nansledan, near Newquay, and asked to send best wishes to his partner Rebecca Spencer, who was away.
William wished her all the best, but Mr O’Mahoney had forgotten to press record on his phone and asked the royal visitor to record it again.
He told her: “Very happy birthday Rebecca, you’re 38…”

Afterwards, Mr O’Mahoney said: “My girlfriend was away so I asked him and he very graciously and kindly agreed.”
During the visit to the Nansledan development, which has been built on Duchy of Cornwall land, the prince toured the site of the Market Street development.
Market Street is one of the first new high streets of its kind to be built in more than a century and will provide commercial space for local artisans and businesses.
William joined residents and construction workers to press their handprints into clay to commemorate the development.
One woman joked to William that he could be Aston Villa’s next goalkeeper – a reference to the prince’s favourite football team winning the Europa League.

He replied: “The Aston Villa goalkeeper played with a broken finger last night, apparently.”
During the brief ceremony William met Tim and Kaya Leadsman and their children Orla, eight, and Finn, 13, who were one of the first families to move to the estate.
The Nansledan development already has about 900 homes, a primary school, offices, a community centre and more than 40 local businesses.
William also visited the estate’s first build-to-rent homes and saw the work of Cornish charity St Petrocs, who are helping Cornwall’s homeless.
During the walkabout he also met Nick and Jess Dunston and their daughter Rosie, who are living in one of the build-to-rent homes.

St Petrocs are building 24 low-carbon, high-quality homes with wraparound support for people experiencing homelessness.
The first phase of the project is nearing completion, and the first residents are expected to move in this summer.
Inside one of the homes William met Max Hedges, 28, who has been supported by the charity.
William asked him how things were, and Mr Hedges replied: “It’s totally different, it’s amazing. I’ve got such a good friendship group, I’m working, I’m part of the community.
“I still get it wrong…”
The prince replied: “We all get it wrong.”
Three years ago, we set out to take a different approach, to think more carefully about how the Duchy could use its land to create opportunity and support people over the long term, including launching a project here in Cornwall to help tackle homelessness with the right support… pic.twitter.com/rUEShtwWIV
— The Prince and Princess of Wales (@KensingtonRoyal) May 21, 2026
Mr Hedges went on: “I was thinking about it before you came down and as much as this is a home, bricks and mortar, this is the start of taking a new journey in life.
“I just think it is wonderful what is being done. This is just the building of hope for people that need a roof and I think it is fantastic.”
Afterwards, William posted a message on social media, saying: “Three years ago, we set out to take a different approach, to think more carefully about how the Duchy could use its land to create opportunity and support people over the long term, including launching a project here in Cornwall to help tackle homelessness with the right support around it.
“It’s fantastic to come back at Nansledan and to see that beginning to take shape, and to meet some of the people now calling it home.
“There’s still more to do, but it’s encouraging to see what’s already possible when you bring together the right people, ideas and ambition. W.”

